Various permits are issued through the office of the City Secretary, including solicitor/peddlers/ itinerant traders, vendors, livestock permits, and amusement center licenses and dance hall licenses.

Solicitor / Peddler / Itinerant Trader Permits

The City Council finds that the reasonable regulation of transient vendors operating within the City of Lamesa is in the best interest of the public health, safety, and welfare.

Itinerant Traders

Any and all itinerant merchants or street vendors who desire to sell their goods, wares merchandise or services, alongside or adjacent to the streets and alleyways in the City of Lamesa, Texas must register and must obtain a permit from the City Secretary prior to any sale of such goods, wares, merchandise, or services.


Every peddler must obtain a permit to do business within the city and shall display said permit on their person in a place visible. Said permit shall be subject to a registration fee of $150 per company plus one agent and each additional agent shall pay a fee of $50. This fee will expire one year from the date issued.

The city requires any individual, firm, organization, or corporation or their representatives, agents and employees, who engage in the business in the city of selling or offering for sale, any goods or merchandise, or exhibiting the same for sale upon or from a vehicle, any temporary rental space, any temporary vacant lot, or from house to house or place to place or business to business to obtain a permit from the office of the City Secretary.

The form is not valid until the City Secretary and Chief of Police have processed the request.

Livestock Permits

Anyone living within the city limits and wishing to keep livestock on their property must fill a livestock application with the City Secretary. This application must be renewed yearly. The Chief Inspector and State Health Officer will inspect the property and make a recommendation. This application and recommendation will be placed on the City Council agenda for final approval. There is no fee for this application or permit.

Amusement Centers

Anyone with a coin-operated machine must apply for an amusement center license. The following are the categories.

  • Class "A" - at least four coin-operated devices and one billiard table. Annual fee of $100
  • Class "B" - with three or less coin-operated devices. Annual Fee of $25
Dance Halls

Anyone who owns a public dance hall must apply with the City Secretary. This dance hall must be inspected by the Chief Inspector, Fire Marshall, and State Health Officer. Upon completion of the inspection, the Chief of Police and City Secretary will process the request. Annual fee of $100.