Your signature on the citation is not a plea of guilty. It is a promise to appear in court.
You must make contact with the court no earlier than 1 day but within 10 days of the date of the citation.
- We do not handle tickets by phone (pleas), you must make an appearance in person or by mail.
- You have a right to appear in court and contest the charge(s) brought against you.
- You have the right to request a trial by Judge or a jury trial.
- Juveniles (a person under 17) must appear in person with a parent or legal guardian.
- Payments for fines may be made by cash, money order or cashier's check, and will be accepted (except for juveniles or minors charged with alcohol, tobacco or school-related offenses) by mail, at court office or dropping the payment in the night deposit box on the west side of city hall building.
Options for Handling Your Citation
- Plea No Contest or Guilty and pay the fine. You may do this in person—appear on or before the due date on the citation, pay the fine in full or request a payment plan. By Mail—sign waiver on the reverse side of your citation, and mail ticket with payment of money order on or before the due date stated on your citation.
- Plea Not Guilty and request a trial. If you choose to plead not guilty, you or your attorney must turn in a plea and a request for trial by Judge or jury by the due date of the citation. The court date will be assigned and a notice of a pre-trial date will be sent out by the court.
- Request the Driving Safety Course in person on or before the due date on your citation. You will be eligible for this option if you have not had defensive driving class in the previous 12 months; show proof of valid drivers license and liability insurance; and that you were not cited for going more than 25 miles over the speed limit, passing a school bus, reckless driving, fleeing/eluding a peace officer, leave the scene of an accident, failure to render aid, or committing any traffic offense while driving with a commercial driver's license. Once the court has approved you for defensive driving, you must pay $100 (or $125 school zone violation) court cost/administrative fee, then you will have 90 days to complete the course and present evidence of compliance by the 90th day or before, after 90 days no extensions granted.